|Remove||Item||Quantity × Price|
|Your cart is empty|
Pros and Cons of Starting a Dog Treat Bakery Business
- You will need to test your recipes prior to selling.
- Gourmet pet treats are not in demand in all areas.
- You must follow specific regulations for processing homemade dog treats.
- There can be significant legal issues if the treats are not produced according to regulations.
- You will have to research what local permits are needed.
- Startup costs can be expensive if you go the franchise route.
- You will need a kitchen area, baking equipment and supplies.
Some of the potential challenges you may face if you start a dog treat bakery include:
The Cons of Starting a Dog Treat Bakery Business
- You can run your business entirely as a home-based business.
- Startup costs are low.
- Dog treat bakeries have the potential to do well when products are sold online.
- The target market is quite varied including online sales, pet boutiques, pet stores, vet offices, doggie daycares and grooming facilities.
- You can get very creative in developing treats that dogs will love.
- There are franchise opportunities available.
Some of the benefits of starting a dog treat bakery include:
The Pros of Starting a Dog Treat Bakery Business
In either of these cases, a dog treat bakery that makes and sells high-quality products to the right clientele can be a profitable business.
Many dog owners treat their dogs like members of the family and love to give them healthy, homemade treats. Plus, some dogs have special diets and need custom-made treats to adhere to food restrictions.
Updated February 15, 2017